Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Seat Belts?

So yesterday I took my driving test and thank goodness I passed!  I arrived at 9:15 as my instructor asked but it wasn't time for my test yet.  In fact a previous group was finishing up.  After they finished my instructor had me drive his previous testees home -- I guess to give me more practice.  While we were driving, we went past a cop.  I noticed out of the corner of my eye that as we approached the cop, my instructor grabbed his seat belt and pulled it over his body.  He didn't actually buckle it, just pulled it toward the buckle until we passed the police officer.  Then he let it go.  This is the guy who is teaching how to drive safely!?!?!?!?!

Well at least we can move ahead now with buying our car.

7 comments:

  1. I sense a market for T-shirts printed with a picture of a seat belt...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every livery cab driver in NY seems to do this. Some even buckle their seat belt and tuck it BEHIND them, pulling it over their head if a cop passes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes. My instructor spent a significant amount of time talking on the cellphone - to another client - during my lesson. Hardly said anything to me at all. Then he continued to talking on his *hand-held* cellphone as he drove off. Which is, of course, completely illegal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lets get those t-shirts going! Emily noted that everyone will have to buy 2 -- one for driving and one for riding as a passenger...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to consult my rabbi on the morality of such a business... Maybe a lawyer, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just as telephone wires on their polls are considered walls for an Eruv and selling your Chametz to a non Jew means you don't have any in your possession, you would be considered "halachically buckled" while wearing these t-shirts. Especially if they make me money thus contributing to the Torah value of settling the land of Israel. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are tredding dangerous ground. If your children get hold of these t-shirts instead of wearing proper ones, their Grandmother is likely to kill you, thus reducing the Torah value of settling in the land of Israel, or anywhere else.
    Worse yet, she just might come and live with you.

    ReplyDelete