Saturday, October 16, 2010

Bald Dishwasher cont...

Dear friends who have not yet changed your emails or moved and left no forwarding address,
 
I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry, but I have to say a few more things about the dishwasher....
 
We'll start with the mundane but most important-- It is AWESOME!!!!!!  It works great, and it holds so much!!  As we were loading up Friday night, and we kept adding more and more stuff(s), we began comparing it to Mary Poppins' carpet bag.  We were 16 people at dinner, and we could fit ALL the plates, ALL the soup bowls, ALL the glasses, ALL the silverware, and a few serving things (including at least one big bowl) on top of that!!!  (Not literally on top-- that would have broken the glasses...)  So that was great!  AND the Shabbat timer thing totally worked... in the end....
 
But I want to share with you the pre-Shabbat scene:
 
In order to set it for Shabbat, you have to turn it on before Shabbat (though it won't actually go until the timer goes off).  So that means we had to have the last pre-Shabbat cycle finished in time for that (we usually load and run a dishwasher right before Shabbat, but we will have to get more organized).  So I thought I had enough time, but of course we were running a little later than we would have liked, so when I went to turn on the last pre-Shabbat load, it said it would take 1:42, and there were not quite an hour and forty two minutes left until Shabbat, so I tried changing it to the less intense setting.  Now it said 1:25,which seemed to be barely perfect for me to open it when it was finished, and set it for Shabbat.  So I start it, and I'm doing my stuff around the kitchen, reheating the food and cleaning up, and looking over at Kojak (hey!  That's a good name for it!!  Get it?  Bald?  I just came up with that now!) every once in a while to see how we're doing.  The little clock on Kojak  says 1:20... 1:15... 1:10... 100...right on schedule, and THEN guess what it says...........
 
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 
 
99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
The darn thing is only in minutes!!!!!!  The cycle's  not an hour and 25 minutes, it's a HUNDRED and 25 minutes!!!  Now we are running 40 minutes late!!!!!!!!
 
So what do I do?  I can't possibly let the cycle run into Shabbat and just wash dishes by hand like we've done every single Shabbat for our entire lives up till now, right?!  Nah.
 
I wait till the very last possible moment, hoping I will catch it on the drying cycle.  I open it up just before candle lighting, and it is filled with suds.  Rats.  I grab a big towel and pull everything out to rinse afterwards in the sink.  Then I proceed to set the dishwasher, except guess what?  It doesn't want to be reset!  It wants to finish rinsing what it started!  I can't get the darned thing to get off of "30", and whenever I shut the door it starts rinsing.  I'd give up, but I've already pulled out all the soapy dishes!  Do I really reload them all now?!  I try turning the machine off (a bunch of times).  I try holding buttons for long periods of time.  I try other stuff I won't mention in case there are children reading.  Finally finally, on a whim, I pop out the button to set the cycles and I spin it around to look at all the options, and sure enough, there is a reset button!  And the rest is history.  At least now that I've written it on a blog it's history.  Otherwise it probably would have been, I dunno, nothing really.  Another event forever lost to the world, I guess.  Like the rabbi who was playing golf on Yom Kippur and got a hole in one.  No one knows about it, because who could he tell?  He certainly couldn't post it on his blog!
 
Anyway, that's all for now. 
 
May you all have a calm and peaceful week with little stress and lots of clean dishes....
 
Love,
 
Em

3 comments:

  1. You're hilarious! And have so much perseverance! I would have given up and just resigned myself to handwashing dishes for 16 people this one week.

    Glad it all worked out - and that it hold SO much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make & model# ??? or I assume it's some obscure European brand I won't be able to find in the states. While our current model has a delay feature, tweaking the lock alone won't do it, I think--you still have to push the buttons you need within a few seconds of closing it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siemens se55 e551eu

    But it doesn't come with the Shabbat switch -- that we got installed by Zomet.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete